Friday, December 22, 2006

Reading 3

I was running down the stairs in the subway station. A very old tiny little lady caught my attention. Within her little body and with her little steps, she was trying to catch the train. I slowed down my steps to accompany her. I was scared to think what would happen to her, if she didn't slow down. I could hear her breathing. What if she just had a heart attack or would it really worth to risk your life at her age? I wasn't so sure.I wanted to make sure that she caught the train safe and sound. I didn't enter the train before she did. My thoughtful steps followed her in silence. She finally sat next to a group of teenagers, secured her shopping bags and started looking at me. I wholeheartedly wanted to look her in the eye. I tried. But when I looked at her, I saw one of her eyes were half-closed and the other was hidden after her blurry glasses.

The idea of getting old seems so far away most of the times, but in the moments such these, I feel I am included in a process I would not like to make a part of.

No comments: