Thursday, February 22, 2007

Kids on Taquile Island



I was sitting at my table at the airport reading my book. To have a short break I began to observe Peruvian families having dinner at nearby tables. Among them, I saw two kids; one boy and a girl, giggling and eating their ice-creams happily. My mind went back to the kids on Taquile Island. A day ago, the kids on Taquile Island with no shoes on their feet and with hopeful eyes were trying to sell me the bracelets they had made. Their timid voices were echoing in my ears. A cluster of sweet whispers, a pair of dark slant eyes and sunburned small hands were choosing the best colors for me.

The kids at the airport were so lucky to be able to buy ice-creams. The kids on the island didn't even know what an ice-cream was.

I started crying, literally bursting into tears.
Among the laughter of others.

No, I didn't buy the bracelets. I only know now, I wish I did.


1 comment:

Rednex_x said...

I know it's very sad, I travelled around Canada (where I lived during 16 years), i passed holidays in New-York, Paris, Vigo and Santiago of Compustela, but I never travelled around Latin America, Asia or Africa. The Only pictures i have of this places, it's what i see in tv, books or newspapers. I understand perfectly your emotions. The world is so unequal. I know about important people, trying change something in many poor countries, but it is going to be necessary many years to begin to see the effects of the changes and also it is necessary that the government of these countries, also do something of positive.